There are probably a lot of things you don’t know about her, but brace yourself, you’re getting the inside scoop about her now…
Here are 10 Facts you didn’t know about Beverly Jayne:
1. Her first gig ever was at Wings Beat bar in Braamfontein with a band called South (which later became Concussion Girl) to a packed, line-up-the-street crowd. This was much to her dismay as she would have enjoyed a much “lighter” introduction to the SA rock stage but had the time of her life anyway!
2. She played her own song “Walk Away” that night at Wings Beat Bar. She used a beat-up nylon string guitar with some gimmicky pick-up that had to be manually attached!
For the first time in the history of mankind, the bass player broke a string! The electric guitarists amp stopped “amping” and her and the drummer continued the song without missing a beat.
That’s when she knew the stage was her home. “Walk Away” was later to become her first solo single off her debut solo album.
3. She has had no fewer than 7 concussions in her life, the first of which took place on Christmas eve when she was 5 years old.
4. She’ll rip your head off if you ruin her perfect last bite of any meal which is the perfect ratio of the best ingredients on the plate… know this…
5. Beverly Jayne used to go to her dads band practices as a young baby. She refused to go to sleep anywhere but next to the large PA. If she was moved, she would wake up and crawl back to the PA then go back to sleep.
6. She fired her gran (the concert pianist) as her piano teacher at the age of 10 because she had “too much homework anyway”. The reason was that her gran had realised she had been playing everything by ear.
Beverly always asked her gran to play it once quickly for her so she could “play it right”. This time she was about to right her first music exam and her gran refused to play it. So, she was unceremoniously fired.
7. She started playing hockey at the age of 5, mini hockey stick and all – she still has a huge love for the sport!
8. Beverly Jayne had no less than 5 tracks off her debut album featured on the local TV show Isidingo and the latest solo album seems set to match or beat that.
9. She is a self-taught guitarist and even a not too shabby self-taught bass player at times…. When Concussion Girl bass player had a very notable birthday party they swapped roles for a set, he sang, she played bass… and that was the last time that happened!
10. The name Beverly Jayne comes from her actual name and second name JANE which Concussion Girl guitarist Stuart Goodwin misspelt for their first ever press release as JAYNE! And so it was…… Beverly Jayne was born!
I’d like to thank Beverly Jayne for providing us with all of these facts. I wish her all of the best with her future musical endeavors.
Click here to crank up her tunes on Spotify.
Watch this space for regular updates in the Music category on Running Wolf’s Rant.