Chaos Doctrine are a metal band from Johannesburg. The band is the brainchild of vocalist Dr D (Bedlam, Malachi, DedX) and former guitarist Ray (Superclown, Malachi, Stone the Free, DedX), who wanted to create a unique sound by blending classic thrash and death with newer waves of metal and industrial.
Originally formed in 2010 with bassist Phil (DedX) and former drummer Ralph (Beast of Eden, Sacrifist, Tyburn, Misericord, Hate Speech) , the band had a few member changes before enrolling guitarist Alec (Sacraphyx, The Warinsane) in 2013. In 2020, Rory (Forsaking Fate) joined the band on drums to complete the line-up.
For Chaos Doctrine, metal is aggression. Their sound is the result of combining the raw power of classic metal like Slayer, Pantera, Sepultura and Meshuggah with the modern edge of bands such as Machine Head and Lamb of God, and the industrial sound of the likes of Ministry, White Zombie and Psyclon Nine. Their lyrical content explores the shadow of the human condition: instability, hatred, brutality, decay. And our approach is unrelenting – fuelled by rage and void of message or apology.
Here are 10 facts you might have known about Chaos Doctrine
1. Alec has played Wacken
2. The Chaos Doctrine drum throne has been filled 6 times by 4 different drummers
3. Three band members are Geminis and 2 of their girlfriends too. Hence the Chaos Doctrine Studio is called Gemini AD – built by guitarist Alec Surridge for the band.
4. Drummer Rory Townes is the only band member with no tattoos.
5. Bassist Carstens and Vocalist Daniel Burger (Dr D) have been in bands together since 2009. Alec Surridge joined in 2013 and Rory Townes a few months ago.
6. Dr D is really a Dr. But not the kind that can give you pills.
7. Between Dr D and Phil there are 15 pets … and 4 Slayer tattoos.
8. The new Chaos Doctrine album is whole mixed, mastered and produced by Alec – he also does for a variety of other artists across genres.
9. All band visuals to date have been done by Phil – from logo and album design to all the videos the bands use live and officially.
10. The industrial side of Chaos Doctrine is usually done by Dr D – all loops, samples, keys and percussion.
1. The band, and especially Alec and Dr D, are huge fans of American whiskeys.
2. Rory can destroy your Uber rating in a single evening.
Well, there you have it, 10 facts you might not have known about Chaos Doctrine. I hope that you’ve learned something today kids!
Their new single and lyric video will be released on YouTube on the 17th of July 2020 at this link, so make sure that you don’t miss out!
Watch this space for updates in the Music category on Running Wolf’s Rant.