Help the SABMR to raise funds for bone marrow transplants for four children this December. If you do, you have a chance to win prizes worth R100,000.
To date, the South African Bone Marrow Registry (SABMR) has helped save the lives of nearly 500 patients with life-threatening blood disorders by matching them with healthy, unrelated bone marrow donors from South Africa and the rest of the world.
For such patients, a stem cell transplant is their only chance of a healthy, normal life. But many struggle to cover the donor-related costs of this the procedure, which replaces cancer cells and makes new blood cells.
The SABMR is hoping to raise R300,000
They need the funds to enable four children get transplants. Through their new Patient Assistance Program, the SABMR have created a campaign on donations-based crowdfunding platform, BackaBuddy.
Dr Charlotte Ingram, Medical Director at the SABMR, says funds raised by this campaign will benefit those currently in need of assistance:
- a 10-year-old girl with leukaemia, referred by doctors at a state hospital in the Eastern Cape
- an 8-year-old boy with a hereditary form of anaemia, currently being treated at a state hospital in the Western Cape
- a brother and sister with a hereditary form of anaemia, referred by a state hospital in Limpopo.
The last case is an extremely rare case where one child in the family was diagnosed with the blood disorder. Shortly afterwards, the parents discovered their other child had the same disorder. Both children can benefit from a single matched donor.
Please help the SABMR during this period of giving
Help the SABMR to give all three of these families the chance to be with us next year. Any contributions not used in the cases mentioned will be directed to new referrals requiring assistance.
“It is the season of giving, and what is more precious than the gift of life to children who have their whole lives in front of them and have so many more things to experience?
Our goal is to ensure that every adult and child referred to us can have the best chance at getting that life-saving transplant and go on to lead a full life.” says Dr Charlotte Ingram
“Not only can you help these children by making a once-off donation during the ‘Give a Little, Save a Life’ campaign, thanks to our 22 generous sponsors you’ll stand the chance of winning fabulous prizes worth a total of almost R100,000, including getaways, spa experiences, golf days, wine, restaurant meals and more.” says Kamiel Singh, Manager Sustainability Portfolio at South African Bone Marrow Registry.
Those who donate will qualify for various prizes:
- Those of you who donate R100 or more will qualify for prizes worth R5,000 each. Three names will be chosen.
- For donations of R2,000 or more, three prizes to the value of R10,000 each can be won.
- If you donate R5,000 or more, you could stand a chance to win the grand prize, valued at R25,000: a two-night holiday for four at the Colosseum Luxury Hotel Presidential Penthouse in Cape Town. This prize includes spa treatments, cinema tickets, a cruise and perfume! There are also a number of spot prizes to be won throughout the campaign.
- Weekly prize draws will be held throughout December, January and the first two weeks in February, with the draw for the three big prizes taking place on 14 February 2019, the culmination of the SABMR’s campaign.
“The ‘Give a Little, Save a Life’ campaign went live on 21 November 2018 and has thus far raised R 9,202.29. The funds will be managed by the SABMR and donors will also qualify for a Section 18A tax certificate.” says BackaBuddy COO, Catherine Du Plooy.
Here’s how you can donate to the SABMR’s campaign
It’s easier than you think. Just click here to make a donation on BackaBuddy. Plain and simple.
Watch this space for regular updates in the General News category.
Blogger, Desktop Activist, Twitter / Facebook Addict, Music Festival Addict, Avid lover of South African music, Founder and owner of Running Wolf’s Rant