What exactly is a transparent proxy and how does it work? Today we answer this question in detail. It’s a fact that the proxy feature is an essential security tool. The purpose of a proxy is to manage access devices do. A proxy works from the internal network, to another network and to the internet.
What exactly is it?
Web proxies are built in different forms. One of which is known as a transparent proxy. This is also known as inline proxy, intercepting proxy or forced proxy. According to Quantum Marketer a transparent proxy is a server that works between your computer and the internet and It redirects your requests and responses without modifying them. When a user requests a web server, the transparent proxy intercepts the request to perform various actions including caching, redirection, and authentication.
If you are a frequent internet user then you will interact with transparent proxies all the time without knowing about it. Your internet provider uses a one when you want to access popular websites, videos, and news articles.
How does it work?
A Transparent proxy works as a mediator between the user and a web server. When a user connects to the services, the transparent proxy checks the request before passing it to the provider. The user is not aware of them because transparent proxies are considered transparent.
What is it used for?
It’s that it’s a very vast platform. Let’s discuss how transparent proxy is used. The following list contains common examples:
1. Proxies caches: It creates a copy of the data stored on the server and saves the cached content to the users.
2. Filtering Proxies: It forbid entry to a certain website and web services. This proxy is commonly used by the organization to stop users from accessing resources that are disruptive for the organization.
3. Gateway Proxies: This proxy is used when you are using public wifi. Based on certain rules it modifies and blocks the network traffic.
Benefits of using a Transparent Proxy
If you want to make your user browsing experience more powerful a working then you can use one. It makes your user experience better. Here are a few benefits of it:
1. Through the proxy, a user interacts with web services more easily.
2. The organization gains more control & experiences of how their customer interact with their website.
How to use it
Within a few steps, you can change some settings on your computer. Let’s check out how to use a proxy is you are using the chrome web browser on a Mac Device. You may have to use the following steps:
1. Open The Google Chrome Browser> Go to the Settings.
2. The move towards the Advance> System>Open Proxy Settings
3. Then it will open the Network Settings on Mac OS.
4. Select and check the web proxy (HTTP) or Secure Proxy (HTTPS).
5. Fill the information of IP address and Port Provided by the network admin. If the transparent proxy required authentication then enter your password and username.
6. Click OK. Your transparent proxy has been added safely.
What is the difference between a Transparent Proxy & Non-Transparent Proxy?
This type of proxy sits between a user and a server redirect request and responses without modifying them.
This type of proxy server is that does modify your request and responses.
A Transparent Proxy changes the way of interacting with the web. It adds functionality to the internet without any kind of inconvenience. Whether they are serving data faster through caching, filtering out unwanted content users will not face any kind of inconvenience.
Watch this space for updates in the Hacks category on Running Wolf’s Rant.