Kurt Cobain was born in 1967 in Aberdeen, Washington in the United States. His dad was a mechanic and his mom was a waitress. According to his Aunt Mari, he began singing when he was 2 years old. At age 4 he started playing the piano and singing, writing a song about their trip to a local park.
More info about Kurt Cobain
When he was 8 years old his parents got divorced (an event that a major influence on his life). According to his mother his personality changed dramatically – he became defiant and withdrawn. This singer-songwriter formed Nirvana along with Krist Novoselic in 1987.
The band went through various drummers and in 1990 Dave Grohl (now the frontman of the Foo Fighters) joined the band. Nirvana achieved huge success with their album Nevermind (which was released in 1991). The Recording Industry Association of America has certified that the album has gone 10 times platinum (10 million copies shipped) and that the album has sold over 26 million copies worldwide (since its release). Nevermind was responsible for bringing alternative rock to a large mainstream audience and many music critics regard it as one of the best rock albums of all time.
Nirvana also released Bleach and In Utero before Kurt Cobain’s death in 1994. After less than a week in rehabilitation, Kurt Cobain climbed over the wall of the facility and took a plane back to Seattle in the USA. A week later, on Friday the 8th of April 1994 he was found dead of a self-inflicted shotgun wound to the head at his Seattle home.
Kurt Cobain’s body had been lying there for days and the coroner’s report stated that he had died 3 days before he was found (on the 5th of April 1994 -17 years ago today). Nirvana were definitely one of the bands that got me into Rock music in general. Kurt Cobain was one of the most iconic musicians of his time. Nirvana is listed on tons of bands’ lists of influences. Rock music would’ve turned out completely different if he wasn’t around (in my opinion).
Here are 26 Memorable Kurt Cobain Quotes
1. “We’re so trendy we can’t even escape ourselves”
2. “We have no right to express an opinion until we know all of the answers.”
3. “Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.”
4. “The worst crime is faking it.”
5. “The duty of youth is to challenge corruption.”
6. “Rather be dead than cool.”
7. “Punk is musical freedom. It’s saying, doing and playing what you want. In Webster’s terms, ‘Nirvana’ means freedom from pain, suffering and the external world, and that’s pretty close to my definition of Punk Rock.”
8. “If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”
9. “If you die you’re completely happy and your soul somewhere lives on. I’m not afraid of dying. Total peace after death, becoming someone else is the best hope I’ve got.”
10. “If it’s illegal to rock and roll, throw my ass in jail!”
11. “I’ve always had a problem with the average macho man – they’ve always been a threat to me.”
12. “I’m too busy acting like I’m not Naive. I’ve seen it all, I was here first.”
13. “I’d rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.”
14. “I was looking for something a lot heavier, yet melodic at the same time. Something different from heavy metal, a different attitude.”
15. “I really haven’t had that exciting of a life. There are a lot of things I wish I would have done, instead of just sitting around and complaining about having a boring life. So I pretty much like to make it up. I’d rather tell a story about somebody else.”
16. “I bought a gun and chose drugs instead.”
17. “Drugs are a waste of time. They destroy your memory and your self-respect and everything that goes along with with your self esteem.”
18. “A friend is nothing but a known enemy.”
19. “I’m gonna be a superstar musician, kill myself and go out in a flame of glory, just like Jimi Hendrix.”
20. “My generation’s apathy. I’m disgusted with it. I’m disgusted with my own apathy too, for being spineless and not always standing up against racism, sexism and all those other -isms the counterculture has been whinning about for years.”
21. “Before I die many will die with me and they will deserve it. See you in hell.”
22. “That’s what music is entertainment. The more you put yourself into it, the more of you comes out in it.”
23. “I’m not well read, but when I do read, I read well.”
24. “I used to try to make my head explode by holding my breath, thinking that if I blew up my head, they’d [mom and dad] be sorry.”
25. “I wanted to move to Seattle, sell my ass, and be a punk rocker, but I was too afraid.”
26. “What people don’t realize is that the so-called Seattle grunge scene grew out of several close-knit gourmet supper clubs – we would only pick up guitars to pass the time while our dishes were simmering, baking, boiling, etc.”
There you have it, some quotes by the legend that is Kurt Cobain. If you have another quote that you want to share, feel free to comment below.
Watch this space for updates in the Music category on Running Wolf’s Rant.
7 6 2