61. Rock Werchter is a rock a festival that is hosted near the village of Werchter in Belgium every year in July.
62. Rock Werchter started out as a one day event in 1974, became a two day event in 1996 and since 2003 it has been held over 4 days.
63. Rock Werchter has capacity for 88,000 people per day.
64. Rock Werchter 2017 featured performances by Kings of Leon, Arcade Fire, Imagine Dragons, Lorde, Prophets of Rage, Radiohead, Linkin Park, System of a down and blink-182 (To name just a few of the artists on the line-up).
65. Roskilde Festival (in Denmark) is Northern Europe’s biggest music festival and attracts more than 130,000 people every year.
66. The first Roskilde Festival was held in 1971. It was the brainchild of two high school students and a promoter.
67. Since 1999 Roskilde Festival has featured a naked run around the campsite. One male and one female winner receive a ticket for the next year’s festival. It has become so popular that qualifying events needed to be organised for male participants.
68. Nine people died and twenty-six people were injured at Roskilde Festival in 2000. People were crushed as the crowd rushed toward the stage to watch Pearl Jam.
69. The 2017 edition of Roskilde Festival featured Foo Fighters, Arcade Fire, Ice Cube and The Weeknd (to name just a few of the artists who performed).
70. Wacken Open Air is a heavy metal music festival which is hosted for 4 days in August every year in Germany.
71. The first edition of Wacken Open Air was held in 1990. Only 800 people attended the first edition (which featured only a few German bands). More than 80,000 attend the festival every year now (which featured 170 bands on 8 different stages in 2017).
72. Tickets for Wacken Open Air sold out in 48 hours for the 2014 edition, 12 hours for the 2015 edition and in 23 hours for the 2016 edition. These tickets were sold out a year before the respective events (for which line-ups have not been announced).
73. The first edition of Rock am Ring (a rock music festival in Germany) was held in 1985. It was original intended as a one-time event, but because it was so popular it turned into an annual event.
74. Combined with Rock im Park (its sister festiva which is held on the same weekend) Rock am Ring has an annual attendance figure of +/- 150,000.
75. The first Burning Man gathering took place in 1986 when Larry Harvey called his friend Jerry James on the summer solstice and said that he wanted to burn a man. They built an 9-foot man out of scrap lumber, soaked it in petrol and burned it on San Francisco’s Baker Beach. The initial group of 12 friends grew to around 35 as people gathered from other parts of the beach to watch the man burn.
77. Burning Man is attended by +/- 70,000 people annually now and takes place in the Black Rock Desert in Nevada. It was moved there in 1991 from San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park because police considered it to be a fire hazard.
78. Burning Man does not allow vending or corporate sponsors, which is how many festivals make their money, so ticket sales are an important part of its revenue.
79. Burning Man is a community of active participants in a tent city that exists for only week in the year.
80. AfrikaBurn is an official Burning Man event that has been held annually in South Africa in the Tankwa Karoo National Park since 2007.