81. AfrikaBurn attracts more than 10,000 people every year and adheres to the ten priciples of Burning Man.
82. The Woodstock Music & Air Fair (also referred to as “Woodstock” or “Woodstock Festival”) was held in August 1969 on a dairy farm in upstate New York in the USA.
83. The 1969 Woodstock Festival attracted more than 400,000 people and featured performances by Joan Baez, Santana, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Canned Heat, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin, The Band, Joe Cocker, Jimi Hendrix, etc.
84. Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin, Simon & Garfunkel, The Byrds, Frank Zappa, The Doors, Free, Joni Mitchell, Jethro Tull, The Rolling Stones were invited / considered as acts for Woodstock, but declined / cancelled performances.
85. In 1994 another Woodstock festival was organised to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Woodstock. The festival was held 10 miles from the original site in Saugerties, New York. An estimated 550,000 people attended the festival.
86. Woodstock ’94 featured performances by Live, James, Sheryl Crow, Collective Soul, Violent Femmes, Joe Cocker, Blind Melon, Cypress Hill, Nine Inch Nails, Metallica, Aerosmith, The Cranberries, Spin Doctors, Bob Dylan, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Green Day and others.
87. In 1999 another Woodstock festival was held near Rome, New York. This site was 200 miles (320 km) from the original event’s site and attracted +/- 400,000 people.
88. Woodstock ’99 featured performances by Vertical Horizon, Insane Clown Posse, James Brown, Jamiroquai, Live, Sheryl Crow, The Offspring, Korn, Bush, Moby, Everclear, The Chemical Brothers, Counting Crows, Dave Matthews Band, Alanis Morisette, Limp Bizkit, Rage Against the Machine, Metallica, Fatboy Slim, Collective Soul, Megadeth, Everlast, Jewel, Creed, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc.
89. The first edition of UItra Music Festival was hosted in 1999 in Miami, Florida.
90. Ultra Music Festival was a 1-day festival from 1999 to 2006, a two-day festival from 2007 to 2010 and is now a 3 day festival. The festival now attracts +/- 165,000 people every year.
91. Ultra Music Festival was held over two weekends in 2013 and attracted 330,000 people.
92. Besides Miami, Ultra Music Festival has also been hosted in Cape Town, Johannesburg, Seoul (South Korea), Singapore, Tokyo, Hvar (Croatia), Split (Croatia), Mexico City, Rio de Janeiro, Bogota (Colombia) and other destinations around the world.
93. The first edition of the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival was held at the festival site in Indio, California in 1999.
94. Coachella started out as a two-day event, but was permanently extended to 3 days in 2007. In 2012 Coachella organisers extended the festival to cover 2 consecutive 3 day weekends (featuring the same line-ups) to cope with ticket demands.
95. More than 250,000 people attended Coachella in 2017.
96. Beyonce became the first black woman to headline a festival when she performed at Coachella in 2018.
97. Bonnaroo Music Festival has been held on a farm near Manchester, Tennessee since 2002. It attracts 80,0000 people every year.
98. The Beastie Boys performed their last show at Bonnaroo Festival in 2009.
99. The area used up by Bonnaroo Music Festival is equal to 375 football fields. That’s 10 times more than the NFL (in case you were wondering).
100. SXSW (South By South West) Music Festival is the largest of its kind in the world, with more than 2,000 acts as of 2014. The festival is held in Austin, Texas.
101. Lollapalooza was originally conceived and created as a farewell tour for Jane’s Addiction in 1991. It was re-conceptualized in 2003.
Well, there you have it, 101 Interesting music festival facts you may not have known. I hope that you feel informed now. If you have anything interesting to add, feel free to comment below. If you enjoyed reading this post, feel free to share it with your friends on Facebook or Twitter.
Looking for something else to read? Check out this collection of South African Music facts.
Watch this space for regular updates in the Music category on Running Wolf’s Rant.