The Tswane Metro Council announced last week that they intend to change 25 street names in Pretoria in the coming months. I’ve been a resident of Pretoria for the past 16 years and I think this is totally ridiculous. I know the political reasons behind the proposed changes by the ANC controlled council are valid, but it’s ludicrous at this time. It’s not like Tswane Metro is an example of the richest Metro council in South Africa.
To my knowledge, The Tswane Metro Council has been struggling to break even over the last few years. Basic services are being delivered in most of the the Metropolitan region, but service delivery has never been this council’s strong point. This ANC controlled council has not addressed all the issues in the Metropolitan area if you ask me. Now it seems that they’re trying to shift the focus of the citizens of Pretoria from that by wasting millions on unneeded street name changes. Luckily they’re dropping the “changing the Tswane name to Pretoria” quest for now.
This a list of Pretoria Street names that are said that need to change:
- Zambesi to Sefako Makgatho
- Hendrik Verwoerd to johan Heyns
- Beatrix/Mears/Voortrekker to Steve Biko
- Hans Strijdom to Solomon Mahlangu
- Walker/Charles to Justice Mohammed
- Proes to Johannes Ramokhoase
- Duncan to Jan Shoba
- Generaal Louis Botha to January Masilela
- Esselen to Robert Sebukwe
- Vermeulen to Madiba
- Schubart to Sophie de Bruyn
- Potgieter to Kgosi Mapuru
- Prinsloo to Sisulu
- Skinner to Nana Sita
- Jacob Mare to Jeff Masilela
- Queen Wilhelmina to Florence Ribiero
- Van Der Walt to Lillian Ngoyi
- Andries to Thabo Sehume
- D F Malan to Eskia Mphahlele
- Mitchell to Charlotte Maxewke
- Schoeman to Francis Baard
- Church Street to Stanza Mobapa/Helen Joseph/WF Nkomo/Elias Motswaledi
- Michael Brink to Nico Smith
- Leah Mangope to Peter Mangope
- Lucas Mangope to Molefe Makinte
I just have one question, how is “Church” a political name that needs to change? And even though Tswane mayor Kgosientso Ramokgopa is saying that this is “Not Targeted at Afrikaners”, I call bullshit. This is another attempt by the ANC to erase history. They need to understand that there’s two sides to history and history can not be erased. Pretoria has a rich history and doing this will sweep a huge portion of it under a rug. This is just another way that the council wants to waste money instead of actually focusing on what citizens of Tswane Metro need, proper service delivery and less cock-ups with electricity and water bills.
What are your thoughts about this? Drop a comment on this post and let the readers of Running Wolf’s Rant know. Feedback is appreciated and welcome here. Watch this space for regular updates in the Opinion category on this blog.
Blogger, Desktop Activist, Twitter / Facebook Addict, Music Festival Addict, Avid lover of South African music, Founder and owner of Running Wolf’s Rant