Oppikoppi 2015 The Fantastic Mr. Vos Vos is less than 20 days away and excitement is mounting for what promises to be one of the music festival highlights of the year. Prawns, Hippies, Hipsters, Pilgrims, Wanderers and other music fans are giving their livers pep talks, making checklists and preparing themselves for a weekend in the dust on that infamous farm near Northam in Limpopo province.
Last week I asked my Facebook and Twitter following to describe Oppikoppi with a movie title and give me a reason why they chose this title. Here are some of the responses I received:
- “‘The Good, The Bad and The Ugly’ – It Kinda speaks for itself” Odee Meyer
- “‘Dawn of the Dead'” Mzi van Staden (I guess that kinda speaks for itself as well, if you’re into the whole zombie apocalypse thing).
- “‘The Day after tomorrow’ – You always feel the first night the worst on the 3rd day and need about a week to recover.” Ewald Cloete
- “‘The Big Lebowski’ – Cause there will be plenty of vodka, the whole thing might be a big mystery and one year I spent the whole weekend looking for my rug someone stole.” Floris Groenewald
- “‘Tomorrowland’ – Because today will not be remembered.” Bruce Ungersbock
- “‘The Hangover’ – Does anybody ever remember all the shit they get up to at 2 PM at Oppikoppi?” Melaney Harvey
- “‘Dude, Where is my car?’ – ‘Tent’ in the case of Oppikoppi Festival” Ed England
- “‘Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas’… Enough said.” Struan Langlands
- “‘Cast Away’ – Omdat ek in 2009 te dronk was om my tent te kry en aleen onder ‘n boom gaan sit en huil het.” Melaney Harvey
- “‘Gone in 60 seconds’.. (If you drink fast enough), ‘Finding Nemo’ (if your tent’s name is Nemo) & ‘The Hunger Games’ (if you take only drinks with you and no food).” Candice Botha
- “‘Idiocracy” Tamarin Jean Mclaren (I suppose she thinks there will be a few idiots around)
- “‘Hot Rod’ – The emergency word is ‘gggggwhiskey'” Tanya Schoeman
- “‘Die Hard VI'” Chris Danger Thundervolt (I suppose you change the number to correspond with the amount of Oppikoppi festivals you’ve been to)
- “‘Titanic’ – If you’re not careful, you will sink” Neil van Rooyen
- “‘Jackass’ – Because you dare people to stupid and silly stuff” Nadia Rose
- “‘Edge of Tomorrow’ (Presumably when the sun comes up) cause that’s till when I’ll be partying! :D” Julian Mcmurray
- “‘Fiela se Kind’ – Want ons eie ma’s sal ons nie wil hê as hulle ons daar sien nie.” Paula Els
- “‘District 9’ – Coz well… duh” Christo De Beer (I suppose they could shoot a sequel for that movie on the farm, so I totally agree)
- “‘Stealing Beauty'” Yaki Naude (I suppose we all look like crap by day 3, so I totally agree)
- “‘Detroit Rock City'” – Because people who haven’t been to Koppi, always badmouth the place and its people until they go themselves and find out that it’s rocking.” Jacques Malan
- “‘The Expendables’ (Referring to the Crew)” Kobus Van Rooyen
- “‘The Way We Were’, vir obvious redes” Ruan “Stix” Fourie
- “‘The Hangover’, ‘The Hangover Part 2’ and sommer ‘The Hangover Part 3’ as well. Because it’s such an awesome party that you hang for a week.” Lize Du Plooy
- “‘Mad Max (2015)’ – Only because of all that sand / dust and action constantly happening.” Roxzann Bester
Well, there you have it: Oppikoppi described by movie titles. I trust that reading this article has made you feel more amped for the event (which is happening from the 7th to the 9th of August).
Watch this space for regular updates in the Music category on Running Wolf’s Rant.
Blogger, Desktop Activist, Twitter / Facebook Addict, Music Festival Addict, Avid lover of South African music, Founder and owner of Running Wolf’s Rant