Zebra and Giraffe are definitely one of my favorite South African artists. They’ve got some really catchy tunes. Their single, Terrified reached the Top 20 on the 5FM Top 40 and #1 on various campus stations in 2010. Zebra and Giraffe also scooped another SA first by filming a video for the song entirely on the iPhone 4. This video reached #1 on the MK Top 10. The band was nominated for the SAMA Award for Best Rock Album in May 2011. This was their 2nd consecutive nomination in this category. Zebra and Giraffe performed their single End of the Road (a song that I’m particularly fond of) live at the awards show. Zebra and Giraffe were also invited to perform at the exclusive Musexpo showcase in Los Angeles, California alongside bands from across Europe, the United Kingdom and the United States. There is no question that Zebra and Giraffe have been making waves in the SA Music industry since they released their first album in May 2008.
I had the privilege of seeing Zebra and Giraffe perform at RAMFest Cape Town and Oppikoppi in 2011. I’ve also watched them perform at Hatfield Carnival, twice at Arcade Empire (in Pretoria) and once at Ridgebacks (in Centurion). Their live performances are never boring and always get the crowd going. The Pretoria faithful love singing along to their tunes (especially The Knife and Arm Yourself) at their shows. This post contains some of the photos that I’ve taken at their shows this year. Click on the thumbnail images below to view the larger version of the photo.
If have an opportunity to see these okes live you should definitely get your butt down to that set / gig / festival / concert. They will be playing at the following venues throughout November and December of this year:
- 25 November 2011 – Synergy Live 2011, Stellenbosch
- 26 November 2011 – Riversonderend Fees, Colchster (Port Elizabeth)
- 28 November 2011 – 4U Rage Festival, Ballito
- 3 December 2011 – Piazza Rocks, Montecasino, Johannesburg
- 3 December 2011 – Barnyard Summer Festival, Vereeniging
- 16 December 2011 – Cape Town Bike Fest, Cape Town Stadium
- 26 December 2011 – Kirstenbosch Summer Sunset Concert, Cape Town
- 31 December 2011 – The Ruins New Year’s Eve Party, St Francis Bay