“Loneliness”. It’s a biatch. I guess by reading the title of this post you’re thinking that I am in a depressing mood today. Well, fact is, I’m not (then again I might be denying it and not realizing it). I hope these quotes don’t depress any of you out there. At least this will hopefully make all the lonely people out there realize that they’re not alone.
We live in a technology driven society in which we sometimes forget that we’re only human. My one friend always told me “‘n Man is nie ‘n klip nie” (translated as “A Man is not a rock”) and I think she was right. Every person on this planet has emotions. You can be a hard-ass, but emotions always comes back to bite in the ass in the end.
Here are some quotes about Loneliness – I hope that they don’t depress you:
1. “We’re born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we’re not alone.” Orson Welles (American Motion Picture Actor, Director, Producer and Writer).
2. “Pray that your loneliness may spur you into finding something to live for, great enough to die for.” Dag Hammarskjold (Swedish statesman and United Nations Official).
3. “Loneliness adds beauty to life. It puts a special burn on sunsets and makes night air smell better.” Henry Rollins (American Singer, Author and Poet).
4. “Language… has created the word “loneliness” to express the pain of being alone. And it has created the word “solitude” to express the glory of being alone.” Paul Tillich (German born American Theologian and Philosopher).
5. “What loneliness is more lonely than distrust?” T.S. Elliot (English Editor, Playwright, Poet and Critic)
6. “With some people solitariness is an escape not from others but from themselves. For they see in the eyes of others only a reflection of themselves.” Eric Hoffer (American Writer).
7. “It is strange to be known so universally and yet to be so lonely.” Albert Einstein (German born American Physicist).
8. “Who knows what true loneliness is – not the conventional word but the naked terror? To the lonely themselves it wears a mask. The most miserable outcast hugs some memory or some illusion.” Joseph Conrad (English Novelist)
9. “Solitude is the profoundest fact of the human condition. Man is the only being who knows he is alone.” Octavio Paz (Mexican Poet, Writer and Diplomat).
10. “People drain me, even the closest of friends, and I find loneliness to be the best state in the union to live in.” Margaret Cho (American Comedian).
11. “Writing a book is a very lonely business. You are totally cut off from the rest of the world, submerged in your obsessions and memories.” Mario Vargas Llosa (Peruvian Novelist and Essayist).
12. “If you are afraid of being lonely, don’t try to be right” Jules Renard (French Writer)
13. “Being an actor is the loneliest thing in the world. You are all alone with your concentration and imagination, and that’s all you have. Being a good actor isn’t easy. Being a man is even harder. I want to be both before I’m done.” James Dean (American Actor).
14. “Loneliness is the universal problem of rich people.” Joan Collins (English Actress).
15. “There is no company like loneliness to keep you from being at one with yourself.” Anonymous
16. “When everyone leaves you it’s loneliness you feel, when you leave everyone else it’s solitude.” Alfred Polgar (Austrian born journalist).
Well, there you have it, a collection of Loneliness quotes. Watch this space for regular updates in the Quotes category on Running Wolf’s Rant.