Johnny Depp is a famous American actor. He was born in 1963 in Owensboro, Kentucky in the United States. The first film he ever starred in was A Nightmare On Elm Street (directed by Wes Craven) in 1984. After this he starred in Oliver Stone’s war movie Platoon in 1986. In 1990 Johnny Depp played the leading role in Edward Scissorhands (directed by Tim Burton).
Since then he’s starred in 6 other Tim Burton films over the years including Ed Wood in 1994, Sleepy Hollow in 1999, , Charlie & The Chocolate Factory in 2005 and Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street in 2007. He also lent his voice talents for the 2005 Tim Burton film Corpse Bride. Most recently Johnny Depp has collaborated with Tim Burton on the 2010 film Alice in Wonderland which was released this past weekend in South Africa.
He’s also famous for his role of the pirate Jack Sparrow in the 3 Pirates of the Caribbean Movies. Johnny Depp is probably one of the most versatile actors of his generation. Audiences will also remember Johnny Depp for his role as Officer Tom Hanson on 21 Jump Street (between 1987 and 1991). The series was broadcast on TV4 in South Africa back in the day.
Here are a few quotes from Johnny Depp
1. “They stick you with those names, those labels — ‘rebel’ or whatever; whatever they like to use. Because they need a label; they need a name. They need something to put the price tag on the back of.”
2. “The only creatures that are evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants.”
3. “The only gossip I’m interested in is things from the Weekly World News – ‘Woman’s bra bursts, 11 injured’. That kind of thing.”
4. “I would do anything Tim [Burton] wanted me to. You know – have sex with an aardvark… I would do it.”
5. “I think the thing to do is to enjoy the ride while you’re on it.”
6. “There are four questions of value in life… What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same. Only love.”
7. “Am I a romantic? I’ve seen Wuthering Heights ten times. I’m a romantic.”
8. “France, and the whole of Europe have a great culture and an amazing history. Most important thing though is that people there know how to live! In America they’ve forgotten all about it. I’m afraid that the American culture is a disaster.”
9. “I remember in that red leisure suit I sort of felt like a Pizza Hut employee, and the white one was the ultimate, with the white turtleneck collar, that was the ultimate in bad taste.”
10. “I may have a feather duster down my pants.”
11. “I guess I’m attracted to these off beat roles because my life has been a bit abnormal. The only thing I have a problem with is being labeled.”
12. “If there’s any message to my work, it is ultimately that it’s OK to be different, that it’s good to be different, that we should question ourselves before we pass judgment on someone who looks different, behaves different, talks different, is a different color.”
13. “It’s good to experience Hollywood in short bursts, I guess. Little snippets. I don’t think I can handle being here all the time, it’s pretty nutty.”
14. “People say I make strange choices, but they’re not strange for me. My sickness is that I’m fascinated by human behavior, by what’s underneath the surface, by the worlds inside people.”
15. “The term ‘serious actor’ is kind of an oxymoron, isn’t it? Like ‘Republican party’ or ‘airplane food.'”
16. “With any part you play, there is a certain amount of yourself in it. There has to be, otherwise it’s just not acting. It’s lying.”
17. “I don’t pretend to be captain weird. I just do what I do.”
18. “I was ecstatic they re-named ‘French Fries’ as ‘Freedom Fries’. Grown men and women in positions of power in the U.S. government showing themselves as idiots.”
19. “I pretty much try to stay in a constant state of confusion just because of the expression it leaves on my face.”
Well, there you have it, 19 quotes from Johnny Depp.
Watch this space for upadates in the Quotes category on Running Wolf’s Rant.