21. South African Music Award winning singer, pianist, dancer and performer Toya Delazy is the granddaughter of Mangosuthu Buthelezi and the great-granddaughter of Princess Magogo, a Zulu Princess and traditional Zulu composer.
22. South African musician and anthropologist Johnny Clegg was born in Lancashire, England. He moved to South Africa from Rhodesia (now known as Zimbabwe) when he was 6 years old.
23. South African Afro Pop band Mango Groove have released 6 studio albums since their formation in 1984.
24. Afrikaans musician, singer, songwriter and writer Koos Kombuis got his last name from a time when he squatted in the kitchen of former drug-dealer and author Al Lovejoy.
25. Johannes Kerkorrel from Die Gereformeerde Blues Band worked as a journalist for Die Burger and Rapport. He was fired from Rapport in 1987 for using quotes from State President P.W. Botha’s speeches in his songs and started persuing music as a full-time career.
26. When he’s not banging the drums, Allesandro from Hellcats is a full-time hairdresser.
27. Albert Frost has played at every Oppikoppi Festival since it’s induction in 1994 (including Easters and New Years Festivals). The term SA Music legend comes to mind if you ask me.
28. Jack Parow (aka Zander Tyler) is an extremely big gamer. He plays handheld and console games.
29. Before forming Die Antwoord with Yolandi Visser in 2008, Ninja (Watkin Tudor Jones) fronted The Original Evergreen, Max Normal, MaxNormal.TV and The Constructus Corporation.
30. South African songstress Johannesburg.
31. Zolani Mahola and six other musicans formed Freshlyground in 2002. To date they’ve released 6 studio albums.
32. American singer-songwriter Dave Matthews was born in Johannesburg, South Africa and moved frequently between South Africa, the UK and the USA before settling in Charlottesville, Virginia to form the Dave Matthews Band in 1991.
33. This year’s edition of Oppikoppi festival is named Nomakanjani. The name is taken from the Brenda Fassie’s 1999 album and song of the same name.
34. Dylan Hunt (the drummer of Southern Wild) also played drums for Van Coke Kartel and Pestroy.
35. Pretoria rock band Cortina Whiplash lists water polo, high-speed car chases and gospel choirs as band interests on their Facebook page.
36. Pretoria stoner rock band Ruff Majik recently toured Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Portugal, Spain, France, Belgium and the Netherlands.
37. Tim Edwards plays drums for both The Tazers and Pollinator.
38. Cape Town Blues / Rock musician Guy Collins played guitar during 9 different artist / band sets at Up The Creek Festival in 2015. I’m speaking under correction, but this has to be a record for someone jamming sets at a South African Music festival (at least).
39. The Fake Leather Blues Band have never released an album. They were formed in 2003 at the Nile Crocodile venue in Pretoria.
40. Besides having a solo career, Peter Toussaint also plays guitar in The Fake Leather Blues Band, The Barbosa Experience and Hoot ‘n Anny.