Great news fellow geeks! The final trailer has been released for Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker! The film is scheduled for release on the 20th of December 2019.
The trailer sets up the goodbye. It opens with Rey adventuring solo, then cuts to her found family (Poe, Finn & Chewbacca). They gather up for their one last fight against Kylo Ren and the apparent return of Emperor Palpatine. Rey and Ren have a few duels, and a giant spaceship onslaught appears, perhaps as the Resistance’s last stand.
The most emotional moment of the trailer belongs to C-3PO. Poe asks the android why he looks so down, and what he’s doing. He answers: “Taking one last look sir,” 3PO responds. “At my friends.”
Check out the stunning trailer below:
The film concludes the trilogy that started with 2015’s The Force Awakens and continued with 2017’s The Last Jedi. The film is directed by J.J. Abrams (who also directed the first film in the trilogy).
Here are a few things you might not have known about Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker:
1. Billy Dee Williams heavily expressed interest in reprising his role as Lando Calrissian. Rian Johnson considered using him in The Last Jedi, but decided that it wouldn’t fit well in the story. On the 9th of July last year it was confirmed that he would be returning as Lando for this film.
2. Security was tight during filming. Mark Hamill said it was “like being in the CIA.”
3. Including his holographic cameo appearance in The Empire Strikes Back, Palpatine will be the most prominent Star Wars villain, having appeared a total of 6 times.
4. With a gap of 36 years, the return of Lando Calrissian marks the longest time for the original actor to reprise their role.
5. J.J. Abrams is the second director to direct multiple Star Wars films. The first was series creator George Lucas.
6. The film will be released twenty years after The Phantom Menace.
7. Disney’s sequel trilogy is the first trilogy in the Star Wars saga in which all three films were released in the same decade.
8. With his appearance in Episode IX, Anthony Daniel’s (C3PO) will become the only person that has appeared in all 9 episodes of the Star Wars saga.
9. Carrie Fischer (Leia Organa) died in late 2016, but will appear in the film. The film makers are cleverly using unreleased footage from The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.
10. Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker has a listed runtime of 155 minutes.
What are your thoughts about this Star Wars film? Are you as excited as me or is this one of those movies that you’ll be giving a skip? Leave a comment below and let me know.
Watch this space for updates in the Movies category on Running Wolf’s Rant.
Blogger, Desktop Activist, Twitter / Facebook Addict, Music Festival Addict, Avid lover of South African music, Founder and owner of Running Wolf’s Rant