I’m not going to beat around the bush. I have been a regular punter in Hatfield for the past 14 years. Call me old-fashioned if you want to but Hatfield still offers some of the best live music gigs in Pretoria & debatably the cheapest booze in Gauteng. And I absolutely love the vibe there.
I might be 33 years old, but I’m still young at heart. I’m not the kind of person who likes to pay R32 for a double Brandy & Coke at a pub / club in Pretoria East if I can get it for half the price in Hatfield. And I do know quite a few people working there. Some of them have been around since the late 1990s. Maybe I don’t want to grow up or move on, but I don’t think that’s the case. I still love it.
I’ve decided to make a list about being a regular, please feel free to comment and expand on this list.
You know you’re a Hatfield regular when:
- you refer to Drop Zone as “Mordor” or “Droppas”.
- you greet at least half the bar men / bar ladies working in Drop Zone / Herr Gunters / OppiSquare / Cheeky Monkey / Aandklas.
- you know exactly what a Chicken Surprise is at Vetkoek Maleis.
- you know who everyone is talking about when they refer to “the cigar lady”.
- you don’t find spontaneous table dancing at Aandklas strange or odd.
- you know the ingredients and taste of a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster / Cheeky Ice Tea at Cheeky Monkey out of the back of your mind.
- you know where someone wants to go when they refer to the “Afternoon Cocktail special”.
- you know what the terms “Oom Wors” and “Tannie Wors” refers to.
- you know exactly what “Lets Go Upstairs” means when you are in Hatfield.
- you order brandy & coke at the bar referring to it as “A brandy special”.
- you laugh at people from Johannesburg / Cape Town / Durban who are claiming to be experts on pub crawling.
- you give your liver a pep talk before a huge rugby match / concert.
- you’ve been to multiple TUKS FM New Years Eve parties.
- you know what a “jam jar” is.
I’m sure that there could be more things added to this list. If you are a regular in Hatfield, please comment on this post. Feedback is appreciated.
Watch this space for updates in the Opinion category on Running Wolf’s Rant.