Today I’m giving you some interesting facts about Zebra. This Pretoria band has been making waves in the SA Music scene over the last few years.
More info about Zebra
The year was 2017 when two young adults out of two very different cultures and backgrounds Siphe Mashigo and Wildré van Deventer walked up on stage at a student bar Aandklas Hatfield with their new project called Zebra. At first their aim was just to let other people know to not take themselves too seriously, but after 5 people applauded at an open mic night, the two decided to see how far they could push it.
They got the handsome Ivan van Heerden (a fellow bartender), to play bass guitar and started doing every open mic night Gauteng could offer. After a gig opening for Jack Parow they got Funkin Duncan to slam the drums and the band was transformed from open mic band to a touring band.
The band has since played Oppikoppi, Splashy Fen, White Mountain and many more. The aim of Zebra has matured from people not taking themselves too seriously to a more United and Proudly South African product … showing people the true beauty of our country and how many of us go through the same frustrations, problems, ups & downs and in the end life is actually quite funny.
Zebra‘s music is aimed to unite South Africans in any way possible. That includes the one thing ALL South Africans can agree on … when it comes to having a party: We do it best!
Here are 10 Interesting Zebra Facts That You Might Not Have Known
1. All of the members met each other in Aandklas Hatfield.
2. Zebra is one of the only bands in South Africa that can play at ANY venue for ANY crowd and produce a truly South African Party.
3. Ivan (bassist) was originally meant to play guitar (when he formed part of the band).
4. Siphe Mashigo, also known as The Captain and The Waterkloof Buffalo, was Head Boy of Cornwall Hill College.
5. Zebra was on tour in the United States opening for Dance like Michael Jackson, The Beatles, Nikki Minaj, Drake and Kurt Darren.
6. All members of Zebra worked for a Drug Cartel in Mexico, but they were forced into hiding after an incident with the leader!
7. Wim (their guitarist) is actually a drummer by choice and only knows the basic chords for guitar.
8. Zebra is known for performing in Zebra onesies, but still cannot find Funcking Duncan one.
9. On tour (doing 3 to 4 gigs a week), the onesies do not get washed … so, when we put them on, they are still damp from the previous gig’s sweat!
10. Zebra won multiple awards at the Durban Performance and Touring Awards Ceremony. They walked away with the Driving Like Vaalies Award, the Public Nudity Achievements Award, the Sleeping On The Floor Award, the Most Babbelas Award and the Not Taking Themselves Too Seriously Award.
11. Zebra will not be held responsible or liable for any injuries, loss of possessions, loss of self-respect, loss of money, loss of wives, loss of alcohol, cigarettes or dignities.
Well, there you have it, 10 facts you might not have known about Zebra. If you have a chance to check them out (when this lockdown is finally over), please do. It’s always a lekker jol when they’re around.
Watch this space for updates in the Music category on Running Wolf’s Rant.