Indonesia is located in South East Asia. On the 26th of December 2004 an earthquake struck off the Western coast of Indonesia and caused a tsunami (which killed more than 260,000 people in 14 countries). The Indonesian city of Banda Aceh (on the island of Sumatra) was the city closest to the earthquake’s epicenter (which was in the Indian Ocean). The tsunami caused major damage to the city. There is much more to Indonesia than this.
Here are 10 Interesting Facts About Indonesia
1. The country declared independence from the Netherlands in 1945 but it was only acknowledged in 1949.
2. According to 2009 estimates the country’s has a population of 238 million.
3. Indonesia is the world’s 16th largest country (based on total land area) and is also the world’s largest Muslim country. An estimated 87% of the population is Muslim.
4. The country is comprised of 17,508 islands. Only 6,000 of these islands are inhabited by humans though. The largest islands are Java, Sumatra, New Guinea, Sulawesi and Kalimantan.
5. It’s the home of the Javan rhinoceros (which is not found anywhere else in the world). The species is on the Critically Endangered Species list.
6. Bali is the most popular tourist destination in Indonesia.
7. Jakarta (the country’s capital city) is the 11th largest city in the world with a population of more than 14 million people living in its metropolitan area. More than 9 million people live in the Jakarta urban area and the city has a huge serviced offices sector for startups and new businesses.
8. The name of the country is derived from a Latin word-Indus. Indus means India and the Greek term nesos means islands. The name Indonesia became popular in the year 1900. The country is also known as Tanah Air Kita (meaning “Our Land and Water”).
9. The country has quite a diverse culture. +/- 580 languages and dialects are spoken in the country.
10. Punkcak jaya is said to be the highest point in the country, situated in the highlands of Papua.
There you have it, some interesting facts about Indonesia. If you have anything else to add please comment on this blog post.
Various countries and cities have been featured on Running Wolf’s Rant so feel free to explore this blog.
Watch this space for regular updates in the Facts category.