It’s about time that I feature another South African band. Today it’s Desmond and the Tutus‘ turn. I’m doing this for the plain and simple reason that I love SA Music and that they’re definitely one of my favorite South African bands. This awesome South African band has been around for while and you probably don’t know that much about them, but today I’m changing that…
Here are 10 Facts You Might Not Have Known About Desmond and the Tutus
1. Desmond and the Tutus hail from Pretoria, South Africa.
2. The members of the band are Shane Durrant, Craig Durrant, Nic and Doug.
3. The band was formed in December 2005.
4. Their musical style can be described as “infectiously awesome blend of Rock ‘n Roll, Indie Kwela Pop and Genius”.
5. The band toured Japan in 2010 and described the experience as “the best time of our career so far! Three weeks of being in a super foreign place with our best friends, playing every night, getting home super late, then waking up early for sound check.” (according to One Small Seed).
7. The band have played at almost every music festival in South Africa (including Oppikoppi, Splashy Fen and Synergy Live). They have built up a reputation as one of South Africa’s best live acts.
8. According to another interview I found their musical influences are “Snoop Doggy Dog, Michael Jackson, Michael Buble, Michael Jordan, Michael Stevens, George Michael…actually anybody with a ‘Michael'”.
9. You can follow them via @DesmondandTutus on Twitter.
10. Their three most popular songs are “Peter”, “Tattoo” and “Zim Zala Bim”.
If you’re not familiar with them, check out the music video for “Tattoo” below:
If you’ve enjoyed reading this post, feel free to share it with your friends on Facebook and Twitter. Remember: Sharing is Caring.
Watch this space for regular updates in the Music and Facts categories on Running Wolf’s Rant.