Are you also facing the slower speed of your Mac and thinking of purchasing a new one? Don’t change your Mac but use the methods mentioned in this article that can help you in freeing up the disk space and boosting your system performance.
With the continuous use of the system at some point in time, it starts working slowly and doesn’t run smoothly. It is quite frustrating when your system doesn’t work as per your requirement and the only option that comes to mind is to replace it.
In this article, we have listed several ways through which you can boost your system speed and performance and make your Mac like a newly purchased one.
Here are 7 Methods to Speed Up a Slow Mac
Method 1: Lesser the Startup items
When you start your Mac several applications also launch at that time. It takes time to boot up, the more the applications and programs are at the startup the more time it consumes. You can manage these startup items as many programs at the startup can reduce the battery life and also affect your system performance. Below are the steps you need to follow to remove the startup items:
- Firstly, navigate to the Apple menu in the menu bar.
- After that go to system preferences and click on users & groups.
- Click on your user account.
- Then navigate to the login items tab.
- Uncheck the applications and programs you don’t want to keep at booting time. • At last click on – symbol at the bottom of the page.
Method 2: Remove Unused Applications and Extension
Your system works slowly when you have an excess of unused applications. We often install applications but we forget to uninstall those apps which are no longer required. Like unused applications, you should also remove browser extensions.
Below are the steps you need to follow to remove unused applications and extensions: Delete Unused Applications
- Firstly, go to the finder and click on applications from the left window.
- A list of applications appears on the page, select those apps you don’t use anymore. • Press command + delete and click on empty trash.
Delete Unused Extensions on Safari
- Launch Safari browser and go to the safari menu.
- Now, click on preferences and navigate to the Extensions tab.
- Choose those extensions you don’t need and click on uninstall.
- Confirm the uninstallation process.
Method 3: Update your macOS
Sometimes, the reason behind the slower speed of your is outdated MacOS. So, you must update your device at regular intervals for the smooth and proper functioning of your system. Updating your Mac not only updates the system to the latest version but also fixes other bugs, deletes caches and improves the device performance.
Before upgrading to the latest version make sure you have sufficient hard drive space and if the hard drive is fully clear the unwanted data to create space. Also, take the backup of your data before performing any update to protect your data from losing. Below are the steps you need to follow to update macOS:
- Navigate to the top left corner of the page and click on the Apple menu and click on about this Mac.
- After that click on software updates.
- If any update is available it will appear in front of you. Now tick marks the box next to automatically keep my Mac up to date.
- And click on the upgrade now option.
- When the downloading process ends it will restart your MC itself and navigate to the installation process.
Updating will help speed up a slow Mac. This process not only updates the OS but also several apps of your Mac. But many third-party applications require updating separately. Whenever any update is available it will notify you by pop up notifications.
Method 4: Disable Visual Effects
Visual effects offer you a great visual experience but also affect the speed and performance of your Mac. It consumes a huge amount of processing power. If you want to speed up a slow Mac then you can disable visual effects. Below are the steps you need to follow to turn off some visual effects:
- Firstly, click on system preferences.
- Then, select docks and menu bar from the left window.
- Now, uncheck animate opening applications, automatically hide and show the dock. • Now, go to minimize windows use and change to scale effect.
Method 5: Clear the Cache Files
System caches can make your system slower by affecting its performance. Whenever you surf the internet several browser caches keep on storing. Not only browser cache, many system caches occur when you use applications. Clearing cache is necessary to speed up a slow Mac.
How to Clean User Cache
- Launch the new finder window and click on Go.
- After that click on go to folders.
- In the box, type ~/Library/Caches and click on go.
- Select the folder you want to remove and drag it to the trash.
- At last, empty the trash.
How to Clean Application Cache
- Launch the New finder window and click on Go.
- Navigate to go to the folder.
- In the search box type /Users/YourUserName/Library/Caches.
- Click on Go.
- Go through the list and choose the folder you want to send to the trash. Drag the cache files to the trash and empty the trash.
How to Clean Safari Cache
- Open Safari browser and click on the Safari menu.
- Choose the preferences option.
- Go to the advanced option and tick mark the box next to Show develop in developing menu in the menu bar.
- After that navigate to the develop section and click on empty caches.
Method 6: By Freeing up the RAM space
Freeing up the RAM space can help in boosting Mac speed. Most of the time it has been noticed that due tk the heavy memory pressure and app use your system starts working poorly. You can also install more RAM in your Mac but it is not a recommended option as most of the models allow more RAM to be installed.
Follow the below steps to free up RAM space using Terminal:
- Go to applications and choose utilities.
- Click on the Terminal app.
- Now, type in the command sudo purge and hit the enter key.
- Now, in the popup window, type your system password.
You should use this method only if you have adequate computer skills. If you are lacking in skills then you can choose another way which is an automatic one. You can use a third-party mac cleaner tool like CleanMyMac X. It is a free app that lets you free up the RAM space. Follow the below steps to use CleanMyMac X:
- Firstly, download CleanMyMac X.
- Now, go to the maintenance tab from the left window.
- After that, click on free up RAM.
Method 7: Disable iCloud Syncing
If you have enabled iCloud syncing it can also make your system slow. The more folders you sync with the iCloud the more it affects the speed of your Mac. Change settings of your iCloud by following the steps:
- Firstly, examine your iCloud’s settings.
- Click on system preferences and then click on apple id.
- Navigate to the iCloud option from the left window.
- Uncheck some of the Applications so that they will stop syncing with iCloud. • Also, untick the box next to optimize mac storage.
The slower system frustrates so much and doesn’t allow us to work properly on the system. In the above article, we have listed the top seven ways through which you can easily free up disk space and fasten your device. I hope the methods will surely work for you and you should give them a try.
Watch this space for updates in the Technology category on Running Wolf’s Rant.
To stay in the loop, subscribe to our Newsletter.
Alternatively, feel free to check out our Featured Posts or scroll down to view posts related to this one.
If you live in South Africa and you're looking for a live music gig or music festival to attend, feel free to check The SA Gig Guide on our sister site (SA Music Zone).
You're also welcome to feed your brain some knowledge on our other sister site, (Interesting Facts).