This morning Twitter was abuzz with the #PreTwitter hashtag. The brilliant folks from Activation Media had an idea to get the hashtag trending, and South Africans embraced it fully. The hashtag trended nationally in South Africa by mid-day today. Quite impressive and a very cool concept if you ask me.
The hashtag is all about stating what you did before you had Twitter. The mico-blogging service is full of creative, so a ton of very creative and interesting tweets came up.
Here are 20 of the funny / true #PreTwitter Tweets that I spotted:
- “#PreTwitter my attention span was longer than 140 characters!” @siyantombela
- “#PreTwitter both my thumbs were the same size.” @phoenixmuso
- “#PreTwitter it didn’t matter that 44k+ accounts have been reached with this tag” @BaasDeBeer
- “#PreTwitter people only used hash tags as a preface for numbers” @Dominique_Cat
- “#PreTwitter you would meet your friends for dinner and drinks. Now you meet strangers for a tweetup.” @lexamantis
- “#PreTwitter You used to want to shoot anything that tweeted when hungover. Now everyone tweets about their hangover.” @TyronLSA
- “#PreTwitter I thought 160 characters for a TEXT message was outrageous.” @JeanJordaan
- “#PreTwitter Only comedians were funny.” @RuanHaha
- “#Pretwitter I would get arrested for sending pics of my wors to people” @BraaiBoy
- “#PreTwitter we used to watch football on TV.” @tatibble
- “#PreTwitter socially awkward people had no place to look cool.” @gevaaalikdotcom
- “#PreTwitter I was bored on the train and in waiting rooms” @Razscal
- “#PreTwitter I used to read a book whilst on the loo.” @JanHHarmse
- “#PreTwitter We had to actually go out to Stalk people” @Tsek_Bastard
- “#PreTwitter No one wanted to be followed” @kgotso_gad
- “#Pretwitter someone following you was actually creepy!” @Nomsa45
- “#PreTwitter Going Viral landed you in hospital.” @DopeboyKwesta
- “#PreTwitter. Your shout got as far as down the street!” @transportermojo
- “#PreTwitter I had to look for nice sayings on google!” @Seductive_devil
- “#PreTwitter a handle was used to open doors..” @King_Kanete
You can follow Activation Media via @ActivationZA on Twitter. It’s amazing how this micro-blogging service has changed the way we communicate via our mobile phones and the internet. Twitter already has 300 million users globally (more than 1 million in South Africa) and its not getting any smaller. The micro-blogging service has been around since 2007.
Still think that its useless? Running Wolf’s Rant would like to hear your thoughts about the hashtag and about Twitter and general, so feel free to comment on this post. Any form of feedback is welcome.
Watch this space for regular updates in the Technology category on Running Wolf’s Rant